Implants have become the gold standard for tooth replacement for a number of very good reasons.
We know implants can seem confusing and scary, so we’d like to explain the implant process at Smile Blue Ridge, and encourage you to consider implants if you need to replace a missing tooth or teeth.
Dental implants are made of titanium, which is one of the most biocompatible materials on the market. Even if you have an allergy to metals you can likely still accept a titanium implant. This implant is designed to function exactly like the root of your tooth would. It is inserted into the jaw bone, and topped with a single tooth crown, a bridge connecting other teeth, or a denture. Here are more benefits of dental implants:
- No damage to neighboring teeth! Before dental implants became popular, dental bridges were the only option for replacing a single missing tooth. In order to fit a dental bridge, the surrounding teeth need to be ground down, which goes against our standards to be as minimally invasive as we can be. Implants do not require any alteration to the surrounding teeth.
- They look and function like natural teeth! Implants look way more like your natural teeth than a bridge or partials do. Implants don’t have to be fused to other teeth either, so you’ll be able to floss just like you normally would. Also, implants are stronger than bridges or partials so you’ll be able to eat all the foods you love.
- Implants prevent bone loss and tooth movement! When you get an implant placed, this new “root” helps to reduce further bone loss, which often causes lips and cheeks to sink in and makes people look older than they actually are. With implants, the bone maintains density and volume, just as if you had your original tooth. It also prevents surrounding teeth from moving to fill space where a tooth once was.
- They can be changed or updated! The top portion of the implant, the tooth-like part, can be replaced or changed without having to alter the implant itself. If nearby teeth need to be extracted later, the initial single-tooth implant can be easily adjusted to become part of a denture.
If we’ve sold you on implants as a terrific option for tooth or teeth replacement, we’d like to further educate you on why Smile Blue Ridge is the BEST choice for you.
Many offices have to refer you to other specialists for your x-rays or additional evaluations. At Smile Blue Ridge, we have everything we need to handle all your implant needs right from our office. This means a faster process, and less wait and travel time – and COST – for our patients!
We take all the necessary steps to ensure that your implant, when properly cared for, will last for a long, long time! We use the following technology to support our custom, guided care:
- Cone Beam (CT) 3-D scan – During your consultation, we’ll do a 3-D x-ray to evaluate the dental implant site. The 3-D scan is a super diagnostic tool that allows us to more accurately plan for your implant size and placement. It also ensures we aren’t impacting any nevers, sincus, or neighboring teeth.
- Guided Surgery – After your 3-D x-ray, we use our 3-D printer to create a surgical guide for use in your implant placement procedure. Having this guide during the surgery ensures we’re following the customized plan to EXACT specifications. This allows us to provide the safest, most predictable implant placement possible.
- IV Sedation – Most people are scared with the thought of getting an implant, which is certainly understandable. The latest offerings with IV sedation ensure your process at Smile Blue Ridge is as comfortable – and forgettable – as possible! If you’re a candidate for IV sedation, we’ll include it in your treatment plan so you can safely snooze through the whole procedure.
- PRF for faster healing – PRF stands for Platelet Rich Fibrin. It can be used in just about every oral procedure, including implants, and drastically speeds up your healing time post-procedure. A small amount of the patient’s blood is drawn at the start of the procedure, and from that we make PRF. This PRF is then applied to the surgical site, and concentrates the healing qualities from your own body to improve recovery time!
We hope this information on dental implants has answered all your questions, and that you’re confident in entrusting Smile Blue Ridge with your care. Please give us a call or send us an email if you have any other questions or would like to schedule your consultation!